From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 1994 11:10:05 CDT
A couple items from today's (9/22/94) St. Paul Pioneer Press:

Charley Walters' column:
Contrary to reports elsewhere, former Gophers forward Joey Dziedzic of
Minneapolis has not been sent to the minors by Pittsburgh, and is with the
Penguins on their four-game West Coast swing that begins in Vancouver tonight.
----
Pam's comments:  In Walters' column "elsewhere" almost always translates as Sid
"Scud" Hartman's sports-gossip column in the rival Star-Tribune (although I
haven't seen the item in question).  I guess this answers Katie's question about
Dziedzic for now!
----

Also, Bob Sansavere (who is a New Jersey guy orignally brought in to write
football, and whom I would classify as one of those columnists who pays
attention to Gopher hockey exactly once a year) wrote a column about the 20 most
influential people in Minnesota sports over the years.  Here are the hockey
people he included:

2.  John Mariucci "The Godfather of hockey in Minnesota, Mariucci's impact is
felt to this day.  Doug Woog, the hockey coach at the U, played for Mariucci and
will recruit only Minnesota kids because it's the way Mariucci would have wanted
it."
[No. 1 was Bud Grant.  Sansavere neglected to mention Maroosh's role in raising
money to build dozens of community hockey rinks all over Minnesota.  Of course,
I suspect Woog has motives of his own for recruiting only Minnesotans, but
without Mariucci's championing of Minnesota and US hockey, it might not be
possible to compete with all Minnesota players, and many say item #9 here might
not have been possible.]

9.  Herb Brooks  "He won three NCAA hockey titles at the U.  He coached the U.S.
team to a gold medal in the '80 Olympics.  He brought glory to the state of
Minnesota."
[I don't think Herbie needs much elaboration!]

12. Norm Green  "Green makes the list simply because he's the dirty, rotten
scoundrel-varmint-louse who hijacked the NHL from Minnesota.  Nobody has ever
had a more negative impact on sports in the Twin Cities."
[And those are only the comments he could get printed in a family newspaper. :-)
But he's probably overestimating Green's long-term importance.]

19. Scott Olson  "Just go to any lake in the Twin Cities on a nice day and
you'll see the impact Olson has had.  He's the inventor of Rollerblades and
Switchit in-line skates."
[Invented at Lake Calhoun (in Mpls.) in the late 1970's.  One trend that was
HUGE in Minnesota before California...]

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]      1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
                                  1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour!!!
                                        Ski-U-Mah!!!