From:
"Aiello, Dave" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aiello, Dave
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 1994 08:12:06 U
Fellow Rensselaer Alumnus Ralpha Baer asked:

>In 1987, the most talked-about recruit was not Joe' Juneau
>but someone named Tarrant (can't recall his first name).  I think that
>he did start at RPI but never played a game.  Does anyone recall what
>happened to him?

You are referring to Glenn Tarrant.  I cannot remember if his first name is
spelled with one "n" or two.  He arrived at Rensselaer at the same time as Joe'
Juneau.  He is from the Buffalo NY area.

I was one of the Student Managers of RPI Hockey at the time, although I had the
opportunity to play in some games between 1985 and 1989.  I got to play pickup
hockey with Glenn Tarrant.  I also played in a few JV level games early that
season that I think he played in.  He had the physical ability required to
succeed at the Division I level.  In fact, when I first saw him on the ice, I
thought that he was going to make a greater impact than Joe' Juneau -- which
says a lot.

Many of the players at Rensselaer at the time treated me as their teammate.  I
learned a long time ago not to talk about what happened after you walked back
up the runway from the ice.

All I'll say is that I remember Glen as a nice guy.  I don't believe that he
left Rensselaer because he had gotten in any academic or disciplinary trouble.
As far as I know, he did not.  I am similarly unaware of any problem between
him and any members of the team.

I saw him once after that season, but before I graduated from Rensselaer.  I
remember asking him what he was doing, and I think he said he was at home going
to school at the University of Buffalo.  I do not know what he has done since
1989.  As far as I know, his competitive hockey carreer ended at Rensselaer,
with him never having played in a regular season varsity game.

Many times I have recalled seeing Glenn Tarrant on the ice, and wondering what
might have been.

Mike Machnik and I are friends.  He can confirm my attendance at Rensselaer and
my role in hockey there.

Dave Aiello
Rensselaer '89
Consultant