From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 1994 15:51:50 EDT
Yecch!  Dave, you're right -- it wasn't worth the effort.  I like your
comments better than theirs, though.

>2. Lake Superior State
>   Lakers' tradition means finals repetition.
>
>DaveH: Because they're callin' interference, the championship makes a
>disappearance.

But hey, "point of emphasis" or not, they'll stop callin' interference a
month into the season, just like they always do.'

>4. Hahvahd
>   Crimson stays atop strong ECAC.

Wow!  The Academic League is going to be "strong" this year!  That'll really
help the old SOS ratings...  (P.S.  Did they really spell "Hahvahd" that
way? :-)

And of course...

>14. Cornell
>    Opponents will dread games with Big Red.

Why, because of the crummy visitor's locker room?  As much as I would LOVE
to see this happen, the fact remains that Cornell returns essentially the
same team they had last year -- and that team finished 8-17-5, eighth in the
league, with problems on offense, a defense prone to giving up breakaways,
a jumbled goaltending situation at the end of the season, and a nearly non-
existent power play.  The Big Red picked up two potential blue-chippers in
center Ryan Smart and goalie Jason Elliot, and a year's experience will help
solve some of the problems from last season, but to tout them as #14 in the
nation is ridiculous.  TSN better stick to the pros.

(I will happily eat a double portion of crow if March finds the Big Red
somewhere near #14, or at least a major force in the ECAC... but try as I
might, I just can't see it.)
--
Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '94.5