From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 1994 11:36:03 EST
I remember at the time that Michigan and the others left the WCHA
to join the CCHA the main reason talked about was travel cost.
Basically the Michigan AD was talking "bus league" versus "plane
league".  There was a fair amount of financial pressure at the
time from the State to cut costs, but the Michigan AD wasn't
really that keen on hockey, for unknown reasons.  The AD had
plenty of money because of football.  I believe the idea of
playing more "Michigan" schools in the league had its supporters
too.  I also remember hearing that just before Red became coach
they was talk of dropping the program.  One last memory was how
tough it was for the fans to go from Wisconsin and Minnesota to,
at the time, the lesser knowns of the CCHA.

/
 good shooting
 rhun