From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 1994 18:40:22 CDT
Info from the last week's papers now recited from memory (yes, that's a
disclaimer!):

The WCHA has named "St. Paul's" Greg Shepherd head of officials, replacing Ron
Foyt.   No word on whether Foyt will continue as a ref in the league.  (He's
moonlighting this summer, doing Roller Hockey games, in addition to his usual
Collegiate Development League reffing.)  I put "St. Paul's" in quotes because,
although the St. Paul paper listed him this way, I believe he lives in West St.
Paul.  (yeah, I checked the phone bk:  Greg Shepherd lives in W. St. Paul;  Greg
Shepard in St. Paul)

From the Minnesota State High School Golf Tournament:

Grand Rapids sophomore Mike Christensen won the tournament.  My response to this
news was, "Christensen, Grand Rapids -- must be Buzzy's kid!"  (I know, I hate
to think what that says about me...)  It is.  He is the son of WCHA referee
Buzzy Christensen, who also coaches boys' and girls' golf at Grand Rapids.  Mike
also is apparently a quite gifted hockey player, but he's passing up a
development camp this summer because it conflicts with a golf tourney.
An item about this in the Star Tribune mentioned that it was indeed Buzzy who
scored the goal for North Dakota against Minnesota to end the longest-ever
collegiate game (no wonder we Gopher fans don't like him!), so it looks like
Mike'll need to correct the spelling in the LONG GAMES file:

> 1. 102:09 12/21/68  North Dakota 5, Minnesota 4 (5 OT)
>             -22     Minnesota Holiday Classic
>                     Metropolitan Center (Bloomington, MN)
>                     GWG: Rod Christiansen, North Dakota
                                     ^^
Golf/hockey sibling gossip:
BTW, junior Bob Brink finished 5th, he's the younger brother of University of
Minnesota golfer-turned-defenseman-turned-forward (but he'd really rather play
defense) Andy Brink, a former State Champion himself.
Also, Buzzy coached Christy Nielsen, younger sister of Gopher Jeff (also a
former Boys' state golf champ) and Harvard's Kirk on the Grand Rapids team in
the girls' tourney.

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]      1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
                                  1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour!!!
                                        Ski-U-Mah!!!