Sender:
From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1993 17:49:37 CST
Erik Biever writes:
> Matt Rein writes:
>
> >     Not to worry Michigan fans.  The Wooger has a monkey on his back in
> >the Civic Center.  If he makes it there, remember the Harvard game back in
> >1989.  Skarda hits the pipe, a Harvard guy picks up the puck, skates down,
> >and silences a sold out Civic Center with one shot.  As a South St. Paul
> >High-School Hockey coach, in many trips to the Civic Center, even one trip
> >with soon to be NHL star Phil Housley, Doug Woog couldn't take home the
> >first place hardware.
>
> That particular monkey departed last March, when the Gophers carried the
> Broadmoor Trophy out of the Civic Center as WCHA Playoff Champions.

I'll also add that none of those high school teams of Woog's that made the state
tourney really had much of a chance at the Civic Center, and they did NOT make
the state tournament Housley's senior year, as he was about all they had that
year.  (I'm certain they didn't finish any higher than third in our conference
that year.)  South St. Paul's a relatively small school that often managed to
make the tournament because it was in a weak section (sorry, Erik, Mark, and any
other St. Paul city alums who may read this!), and, hence, didn't do
particularly well there.

Obligatory COLLEGE hockey content:

I guess that's only very peripherally related to college hockey, so I'll throw
in a fact I was saving in case I have time to write up a Gopher report tonight:
The Gophers may have gotten off to a horrible (0-5-1) start, but their record is
5-1-2 since then.  They've still got a ways to go, but at least they're heading
in the right direction!

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]         1993 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
[log in to unmask]              Ski-U-Mah!!!