Sender:
From:
Paul Felix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1993 11:22:04 -0500
[[log in to unmask] (Tom Buskey)] Writes:

>         Why should the Gophers continue with this apparently provincial
> policy?  I believe thay should for the following reasons.
> 1.  Recruiting,  right now the Gophers get most of the top players in the state
> The last six Mr. Hockeys have played for the Gophers.  This year, the most
> likely winner of that award is Jason Godbout, he has already signed with the
> Gophers.  If the Gophers abandone their policy, they will lose a great thing
> that is the ability to call themselves "Minnesota's Pride on Ice."  I don't thin
> this makes the U better that UMD or SCSU, its simply the U's thing and it
> works for the U.
> 2.  Contrary to what people are suggesting, I think the evidence is very strongt
>    hat an all Minnesota team can be very competative.  In the last 8 years,
> the Gophers have always made the final 8 in the NCAA's.  In the last 2 years,
> they have one MacNaughten Cup and one Broadmore Trophy.  furthmore,
> Minnesota H.S. is producing several great talents.  There are 6 minnesotans
> on the US olympic team, three of them played for the Gophers.  No longer is
> Minnesota Hockey so good that Gopher fans can expect to compeat for the
> National Title every year.  However, it will take more than a couple of
> down years to convince me that fundamental changes are needed.

I think it's amazing that Minn. has been able to compete in college hockey
with only Minnesotans all these years. No other state, big or small, can
say that!

Minnesota should continue the tradition. When they win again (and they will),
it will make it that much more meaningful. They should play up this fact
so that every player and fan knows what kind of feat that is. Every Minn.
HS player should understand that before the recruiter comes to his door.
Every fan should understand that before he/she enters Marriucci arena.

Paul

 Paul Felix                                    [log in to unmask]
 Graphics Software Development                 Voice: (603) 643-2600
 Fluent Inc.                                   Fax:   (603) 643-3967
 10 Cavendish Court
 Lebanon, NH 03766-1442