Sender:
From:
Mike Zak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 91 16:13:16 EST
I know of two refs off the rop of my head whom I would vote as consistent and
able to call good games in the ECAC.  They would be Harry Amian and Gallagher
who got hurt in Saturday night's game.  Both refs are quite fair and are aware
of all of the play going on around them.  Now as for the two linesman being
ref system, that is worse.  I saw several elbows and nudges and holds go without
being called Saturday night.  However one thing became real evident, that thses
(these) two guys have to call offsides also.  Now this takes be ahead of the
play, being at the blue line and being aware of where the puck and offensive
players are.  When the linesmen/ref are rushing this, close offsides can be
missed, which in turn may allow a pivotal goal.  I would say that the officials
Saturday night erred on the side of whistling those that were close but that
they couldn't make it out too well.  The two officials did miss a Clarkson
player poking (a light spear) a Princeton player in the hip well after the play.
The Princeton player did try to complain.  As for the RPI/Harvard game, I have
seen some refs let the players exchange whacks without blowing a whistle on
both.  They are only single swing affairs and at the legs or on padding.
Anything above the waist or rela hard is called.

Mike Zak
Clarkson