Sender:
From:
"James F. Bradshaw 803.656.2407" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1993 16:10:00 EDT
Mike Machnik comments:

> James Bradshaw writes:
> >Sources indicate that Jay Valde (Woburn, MA and Northeastern (?)),
> >who served as one of the Equipment Managers, was conscripted to
> >serve as the Master of the Zamboni.  Perhaps with Mike's help we will
> >find out if this is "cinema verite" or just another "urban legend."
>
> Well...I can tell you that Jay Valade (not Valde - was this in the
> paper down there?), who was a forward at Northeastern during the 2
> years I was a manager (1986-88), went on to go to work for NU as a
> member of the crew at Matthews Arena and has been driving the Zamboni
> there for a couple of years now.  So I think it is very likely that
> these are one and the same person.

"Valde" is the spelling that appeared on the Olympic Festival rosters;
he was listed as one of the three equipment managers.  The PA announcer
indicated that Jay was a "volunteer" and attributed his allegiance to
NU.  Sounds like we might be able to get Jay's side of the story ...

As an aside, for those considering future Olympic Festivals as a
Summer vacation option, I understand that St. Louis is the host for
1994 (I think July 1st - 11th) and Denver is the host for 1995.

James Bradshaw
Clemson University