Sender:
From:
"Lynn A. Devlin, AT,C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1993 14:49:14 EST
        ...smaller and "more prestigious not giving scholarships.
        They may not give athletic scholarships but they do still
        provide scholarships to STUDENT athletes."

I'm sorry you don't like this idea.  However, as a product of a Div. III
school, and an athletic trainer (who, as students, do not get "scholar-
ships" to take care of athletes, even though we put in more time), I
know a bit about what you are saying.  Yes, we had student athletes
that were on scholarship.  But, this was either due to one of two things...
1)  they were academically eligible or 2)  they had financial need.  The
things that they were given were either academic scholarships or work-
study aid.  Both of these require certain prerequisites to receipt of
the award.  I can also attest to the fact that the ones who did receive
academic awards were deserving in that typically, smaller schools require
a higher GPA to get in/get scholarship.  We're not talking about guys who
had a 2.1 GPA in Basketweaving....we're talking about Business major,
Physical Ed. majors (and it is a tough courseload), Liberal Arts majors.
As far as the work-study goes...you have to qualify for the Federal pro-
gram, and as far as I know, there's no way to fake it.
        Another important fact to remember is that these athletes do not
receive all of the "perks" that the athletes in larger schools receive.
There is no "training table", very little "free" equipment, no team
sponsors (ie:  Gatorade), perdiem meals are about $5, etc.
        As a student at a Big10 school, I see these differences every
day.  I'm not taking anything away from the athletes in the Div. I schools.
They have to devote a lot of time to the game, and frequently sacrifice
sleep, recreation, etc, to maintain GPA.  They work hard on and off the
field, but so do the Div. III athletes, who don't get paid.

Lynn
Ithaca '90
Indiana Univ. '93