Sender:
From:
"Craig C. Cheslog" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1993 15:13:15 EDT
I don't remember anyone posting this, but in any case I found it interesting
that such a quote would appear in the latest issue of _The NCAA News_...

Michael Madden, Boston Globe columnist on the NCAA Men's Hockey Championship:

"It's as if we're in a time warp, even with the TV cameras and the ESPN
banners. This is athletics for the sake of athletics. Few seem to mind that
all of America, except for a few Northern states, is unaware this event is
being held. As far away as Chicago -- all of 90 miles from (the championship
site in) Milwaukee -- the NCAA hockey championship rates only an agate line in
the newspaper. No advocates rush forward to shout prejudice at an exciting
sport being ignored; the cognoscenti know -- and seem to appreciate -- they
are among the chosen few.

"There is little money to be made here. There are no hustlers, no fast-buck
artists. There is no other agenda here. There is good hockey. That is the
raison d'etre, the only one. It is as college sports used to be."

(end of quoted material)

I think that the fact that college hockey does not suffer some of the faults
of the "big time" sports is a plus to the sport. But, it seems to me that
college hockey could use some more exposure. (Try moving the championship to a
time that does not conflict with basketball's final four, to take one
example!) But...where do we draw the line? Just how big do we want college
hockey to get?

Craig Cheslog '93
Bowdoin College Sports Information Intern
BOWDOIN 1993 ECAC EAST CHAMPIONS!
Watch out world...NESCAC is coming to the NC$$'s next year!