Sender:
From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1993 16:33:27 EST
Saturday night's match at Bright was a very good effort by St.
Lawrence.  The Crimson continued to look out of it.  At times this
season I have wondered, who is going to score for Harvard?  Last night
was a summation of that feeling.  Overall, the game was dull.

Harvard scored its only goal, in the first period, when Ben Coughlin
(Lou Body) went end to end, and scored a short-handed goal.  It was a
great solo effort, finished off with a nice roofed goal.  There was no
more scoring in the first, or until late in the second period.  From
the fans in the stands: "Are they sitting on a one goal lead again?"
"Do you believe it?"  Unfortunately, yes.  Mike Allain (Mike McCourt,
Brian McCarthy) did a coast to coaster, in the last minute of the
second period to tie the game up for the Saints.  In the first minute
of the third period, St. Lawrence took the lead, when Burke Murphy
(Greg Carvel, Ted Beattie) knocked in a rebound.  The Harvard crowd
tried to cheer the team up, but there was no clue to where an offense
might be found.  In the end, the Saints got an empty net goal from
John Massoud to finish off the scoring.

St. Lawrence is not the powerhouse I have seen in the past.  Their
defense looked very porous.  However, with offensive players like
Spencer Meany, I feel they could do better, if they went for more
offensive play.  I was very happy for Joe Marsh and his squad.  In
the past they have often tighten up when coming into Bright.  Saturday
they put together a good effort to win the match.

Harvard needs to learn that opportunism, is not an offense.  Over the
last four years, the team speed, and the offensive flow has been lost.
I thought Sean McCann played an excellent game on defense.  He is a
tough, hard hitting, quick skating player, who can join the attack.
Derek Maguire had another good performance.  In goal, Aaron Israel
played a real strong game.  Despite the numbers, and popular opinion,
I feel he is the better of the rotation.  Last night his solid play
kept the score close.

I see Harvard seems to be using last year's formula for getting up
for the playoffs.  They just look a very tired side.  It is a pity,
because I see a pool of very talented players, but no positive
direction for it to excel in.

/
 good shooting
 rhun