Sender:
From:
Joel Graber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1993 13:34:00 EST
        Yet more comments on the bands-  I played in the Michigan Tech
Pep Band from 1982-87, and I guess can sympathize (slightly) with the
NMU fans, as we in the Huskie Pep Band prided ourselves on being loud,
obnoxious, and "rude, crude, and socially unacceptable"...  If memory
serves, it was during my tenure that the Pep Band was originally banned
from Lakeview (or shortly afterwards).  I believe that in the case of
"competing bands", we did usually alternate, and we *tried* not to
play over announcements, though simultaneous starts were difficult to
predict.

        An interesting note to this is that in WCHA play, this question
is often moot, as the distance between schools makes travelling bands
financially unreasonable.  Perhaps that's why Northern found us unacceptable,
as with that being our only feasible road-trip (2 hours drive), we probably
went just a *little* bit overboard ! ;)

        The GLI tournament in Detroit (at the Joe) has at least three
bands (Tech, Michigan, MSU) every year without problems, though the
increased size of the arena, and the fact that no one loses a "home ice"
advantage probably contributes to that.

        Personally, I'm inclined to agree with Eric H.-  the more bands
and the louder the better.

        Go youse Huskies!!!

Joel Graber                    '87  Michigan Tech      Let's Go Tech!!
[log in to unmask]      '93  Cornell            Let's Go  Red!!
        You can't have everything.  Where would you put it?
                                            - Steven Wright