Sender:
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1993 12:49:54 -0500
Just a little clarification on band behavior.

Usually, if there are two bands at a game, they get together and divide up
the breaks and alternate songs during intermission.  The Cornell band makes
a point of not playing when the announcer is talking (sorry Arthur if we've
played over you, but I know there have been times when you and I have started
simultaneously :-) ).  Most band members are as interested in scores as the
rest of the fans.  No band is allowed to play while the puck is in motion.
If they do they are given a warning from the refs, and if it happens again,
their team is given a penalty. (Incidently, a friend told me that the rule
actually reads, "If a band plays while the puck is in play, a penalty will
be given to the team's band."  We always thought that that meant we should
toss a tuba in the sin bin.)

As for being loud, that's what the band is there to do.  I understand that
directly in front of the band is not where fans want to be.  We've always
found this convenient, as this gives us more room.  I do like the idea of
sitting opposing fans in front of the opposing team.  I hated when the band
was nowhere near our fans in the Boston Garden; it's harder to coordinate
the fans with the band.  You have to understand, though, that the athletic
department gives the band free tickets to come to make noise.  Cornell coach
Brian McCutcheon wants us to make as mush noise as possible.  (It's no
coincidence that the band is next to the opposing team's locker room and on
top of the opposing goalie for two periods in Lynah.)  By being loud, the
band is fulfilling the service that athletics expects.

Perhaps instead of banning bands, rinks should contact band leaders and e
explain to them the problems that they feel exist (which many band members
probably don't realize are problems) so that the bands can adjust their
behavior to make everyone happy, if that's possible.  The only time I got any
feedback from any nonband member was a game at which a booster yelled at me
for not playing enough.  I also overheard people at the Cornell-Harvard game
last year wonder where the band was when they didn't go.

A little communication here could go a long way.

Paulette Dwen
Cornell Pep Band conductor '87-88
Let's here it for four road games in one week in March!