Sender:
From:
Kenny Zalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1992 15:29:56 GMT
From Pete Kester:
>> Rule 4-9c: A goal shall not be awarded as a penalty for any offense, such
>>            as throwing a stick to prevent a goal or otherwise.
>>
>Now for my other point: Does this make sense?  I would think that any
>time there is a breakaway on an empty net, players would *want* to
>throw their sticks or trip the player from behind.  There's a chance
>the the thrown stick will prevent the easy goal and at least give the
>goalie a chance to stop a penalty shot.

Exactly...  and teams are encouraged to do this.  If there's an open net,
and you're on the defending team, you've got nothing to lose by throwing
your stick at a puck headed into the open goal.  The penalty shot will be
awarded, and the goalie will be allowed to return to the ice.  I'm not
sure I agree with the rule, but that's the way it is.          -- kennyz

--
Kenny Zalewski -- Information Technology Services at Rensselaer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 83 Albright Court, Troy, NY, 12180