Sender:
From:
Paul Marchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1992 08:46:02 EDT
The latest on the post-empty net goal by Wisconsin players as reported in
today's Dayton Daily News:

  "The NCAA will investigate a confrontation between University of Wisconsin
hockey players and a referee who worked during the Badgers' championship game
loss to Lake Superior State.
  Referee Tim McConaghy, who called 16 penalties on the Badgers in their 5-3
loss Saturday night at Albany, NY, was verbally accosted by at least 10 UW
players after the Lakers scored an empty net goal with two seconds left to
clinch the victory.
  Some of the players surrounded McConaghy before he could leave the ice.
  Afterward, in the tunnel leading to the locker rooms, a brief altercation
took place during which a linesman and another official were injured."

After replaying the tape and watching the antics after the empty netter,
combined with this report(anyone got more details on what took place in
the tunnel?), my preliminary opionion about Wisconsin has changed. It looks
to me like it went beyond frustration. Regardless how poor they may have
thought the officiating to be, that does not give them the right or
justification to behave in the manner that they did. Not a class act. Their
image has been tarnished in my eyes.

Hey, I didn't here any complaints/altercations by NMU after their close
loss to UM. Nor UMaine against MSU. Yet, we saw quite a bit of discussion
concerning the officiating in those games. That's a credit to the program
at NMU and UMaine.

Paul Marchant     |      The CCHA and the       | (513) 865 - 1637
Mead Data Central | Lake Superior State Lakers  | Data Technology
P.O. Box 933      |                             | [log in to unmask]
Dayton, OH  45401 |   The BEST in NCAA Hockey   | ...!uunet!meaddata!paulm