Sender:
From:
Kenny Zalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1992 08:19:35 GMT
From Mike M., and to confirm Ryan's statements also:
>I don't know if this is the rule at other levels of hockey, but it is not
>the NC$$ rule.  Here, three rules apply.
>
>Rule 6.43a
>Rule 4.6a
>
>Rule 4.6e states that if the goalie of the penalized team has been removed
>for another player at the time of the infraction, he shall be allowed to
>return to the ice for the shot.  This indicates to me that, besides there
>being no rule which explicitly awards a goal, goalies can be off the ice when
>penalty shot situations occur and a goal is not necessarily awarded.

And here's the clincher rule which puts this automatic goals question to
rest...

Rule 4-9c: A goal shall not be awarded as a penalty for any offense, such
           as throwing a stick to prevent a goal or otherwise.

The rule-writers were even nice enough to include by example our own
stick-throwing situation...  talk about mind-reading.   :-)

In summary, it's always safe to play by the rule that "there are no
automatic goals when playing by NC$$ rules."  However, for USA hockey (AHAUS),
the situation is different, and awarded goals ARE allowed.      -- kennyz

--
Kenny Zalewski -- Information Technology Services at Rensselaer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 83 Albright Court, Troy, NY, 12180