Sender:
From:
Robin Lock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1992 17:06:19 EDT
 GOALS
 ST. LAWRENCE    2  2  0  = 4
 HARVARD         0  0  0  = 0

 SAVES
 ST. LAWRENCE    6   4   9  = 19  (SPAGNOLETTI)
 HARVARD         9  16   10 = 35   (HUGHES)

 SCORING
 1st Period
   0:44  SLU     ALBERT      (LAPERRIERE, WELLS)
  17:44  SLU     DENT        (CARVEL, C. LAPPIN)
 2ND PERIOD
   5:18  SLU     WELLS       (ALBERT, CARVEL)
   5:32  SLU     CARVEL      (UNASSISTED)

     SLU'S stongest game since the 5-0 shutout of Clarkson four
 weeks ago.  ALbert got them off on the right foot early with a
 goal after a nice exchange of passes with LaPerriere in the first
 minute.  Referee Murphy called a lot early, both teams had 5-on-3
 power plays in the first 8 minutes, with a loud post keeping the
 Saints from scoring.  Dent scored for SLU's second power play
 unit towards the end of the period.  Momentum continued with
 SLU in the second period as they outshot the Crimson 18-4 and
 scored two goals within 14 seconds of each other.  Most of the damage
 was done by SLU's "Lava Line" (Wells, Carvel, Albert - waiting to
 explode). Carvel and Wells are both Canton natives who have played
 together through Pee Wee, H.S., prep school, and now SLU. Wells
 is a senior (Carvel a junior) so tthe run together will come
 to an end soon. Certainly was fun for the home crowd to watch
 them do so well last night.
     The third period was relatively uneventful, although Harvard
  had its best two chances stopped by Spagnoletti to record SLU's
  first ever shutout of Harvard. Unfortunately, with less than two
  minutes to go, Murphy made an atrocious call on SLU's Spencer Meany.
  Meany had been wrestled then held down in the corner by a hammerlock
  around his head - nothing particularly noteworthy, the sort of thing
  that often occurs in the corners.  Murphy watched the whole play
  clearly judging whether Meany was being held long enough to justify
  a call with so little time left in the game. When Meany finally got
  loose he gave the Harvard player a shove as he skated up the ice - the
  play took place about 5 feet in front of our seats. Up goes Murphy's
  arm and we all figure "matching minors" instead we get a five
  minute major and game disqualification on Meany (i.e. out for
  the first round of the playoffs) and nothing on the Harvard player.
  Evidently, the ref saw Meany's shove as a spear ( a debatable
  interpretation, but one that would justify the 5 minute major?) - but
  a game disqualification?  The Harvard player was probably as suprised
  as anyone.  Does anything that might resemble a spear require an
  automatic DQ?  If Murphy were to call that sort of play consistently
  he would rarely have many players left on the ice at the end of the
  game.
      Sorry - I didn't mean to go on about that call and detract from
  what was certainly a highlight game from the Saint season so far.
  Everyone around here is expecting Vermont to be the visitor for
  the quarterfinal game next week - probably our last choice from
  among the 6 non-home ice teams.  It seems that the ECAC has found
  any easy way around the revenue loss from a single game format
  by doubling the cost of a ticket (now $10 - I remember last year
  as being $5 per night).
      Second year in a row for the Saints to finish tied for second
  a single point away from the top.  Also M. Lappin was shutout and
  I heard that Colgate's Band got 5 points at Dartmouth to take the
  individual scoring title.   On to the playoffs...

  Robin Lock   (St. LAwrence)