Sender:
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:28:46 -0500
--- Original Message ---
From: Carol White <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject:      Re: University of Minnesota Sports
Revenue / Expenses Numbers

>This report is really ticking me off.... It has been
obvious
>for a while that Hockey has been supporting the
athletic dept
>in a major way.  It is popular, the team is good and
the
>arena is a great venue. Thus the extremely high
ticket prices.

I'd be a little bit careful before one tees off.
Outside analyses of college athletics that I've seen
tend to find that the accounting involved in these
reports is every bit as honest as that involved in
producing (err, excuse me, reporting) the $500 million
that baseball lost.  It tends to be in the opposite
direction, skewed to making college athletics look
*more* profitable than it really is, but still
dishonest.

Until I see outside, independently audited accounts
that break down and detail line items, I'm not going
to believe that the Minnesota hockey program is really
making as much money as we are told.

J. Michael Neal