Sender:
From:
Craig Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 07:42:26 -0500
I don't think the blame for the fall of D-II hockey belongs solely to the NCAA.
It belongs to the president's of non-hockey playing schools who make the NCAA
rules.

Back in the early 80's, the Division II-III championship was eliminated so there
was not a championship between schools with scholarships and schools without
scholarships.  That prompted the move to D-I of schools such as Lake Superior
State, Alaska-Anchorange and Fairbanks, UMass-Lowell, etc.  Schools such as
Bemidji State, Mankato State, St. Cloud State, etc. went the other direction and
played D-III.

That was all well and good for D-III as there were some 60-plus schools playing
at that level with 40-some playing D-I.  However, that all changed with the
1992-93 season as D-II schools were no longer allowed to play down in any
sports, thus forcing the 11 D-II schools at the time to play at a level which
they did not want to (Alabama-Huntsville made it 12 D-II schools but they moved
down from D-I).  Sacred Heart added hocked, making 13 schools, but all realized
that with a two-team championship at the end of the season, there was little
purpose in remaining at the D-II level.

Mankato State was the first to make the jump to D-I (since the introduction of
the D-II tournament) and now everyone else has realized that it makes no sense
to play D-II.

But as for Bentley's failing, don't be so quick to jump on that.  It may be
tough, but it's possible.  Look at Colorado College.  Admittedly they have
history on their side, but they're a D-III school with less than 2,000 students.

Also, to everyone who trashes the NCAA, remember that the president's of every
single member institution vote on legislation, thus making the rules.  The NCAA
is not some autonomous being, it is run by the schools that form it.  What hurts
hockey is that there are about 110 schools playing the sport but the rules that
apply to them are voted on by everyone, including the non-hockey playing school.

There's my two-cents, for what it's worth.

Craig Roberts, University of Minnesota
Women's Sports Information Assistant
Check out the Gophers on the Web at http://www.gophersports.com
Or call the Diet Coke Gopher Sports Hotline at (612) 626-STAT
GO GOPHERS!

Women's National Collegiate Ice Hockey Stats are at:
 www.gophersports.com/sportsNews/press_release.asp?news_id=273