Sender:
From:
Sandi Trudo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 22:02:10 -0600
Direct from http://www.wcha.com

May 1, 1998
MANKATO STATE ADMITTED INTO WCHA AS 10TH FULL-TIME MEMBER

        Marco Island, Fla. -- The Western Collegiate Hockey Association
voted unamimously to admit Mankato State University as a full-time
Association member commencing with the 1999-2000 season. The decision came
today at the Association's annual meeting at Marco Island, Fla.         The
addition of Mankato State University into the WCHA marks the Association's
first
expansion since the addition of the University of Alaska Anchorage as a
league member in 1993-94. Mankato State will begin playing a full
conference schedule for the 1999-2000 season and will again compete as the
10th-ranked team in next year's (1998-99) WCHA Playoffs.        Mankato
State officials appeared before members of the WCHA on Thursday (April 30)
morning and reported on the progress of their hockey program, the bright
future for intercollegiate athletics and academics at MSU, their sincere
desire to become a full-time member, the fact that they had fulfilled the
WCHA's criteria for consideration of membership, and the institution and
community support for Division I hockey.        In issuing a joint
statement on behalf of the WCHA, league commissioner Bruce McLeod and Chair
of the Association Norm Chervany (Faculty Representative from the
University of Minnesota) said, "We are delighted to welcome Mankato State
University into the Western Collegiate Hockey Association family. Mankato
State is a quality academic institution with an outstanding athletic and
Division I ice hockey program and an impressive commitment to the
student-athlete."       Said Don Amiot, director of athletics at Mankato
State, "Needless to say, we're very honored and ecstatic about being
admitted into the WCHA. Not only is this a great day for the University,
but for the entire community of Mankato and southern Minnesota and all the
people that have worked so hard to put our program in this position."   In
addition to voting Mankato State University into the WCHA for 1999-2000,
the league placed a moratorium on acceptance of applications beyond those
it has already received.

******************************
Sandi Trudo
Rinkside Hockey/OAS Production
FANSonly Network - University Netcasting,  Inc.
http://www.fansonly.com
2035 Corte Del Nogal Suite 105
Carlsbad, CA 92009

email- [log in to unmask]
Fax (760)  431-8108
Phone (760)  431-8221 x121
Th-Mon 2-11 pm pst

Save Trestles! sign the petition to save Trestles at:
http://www.surfrider.org/sanmateopoint/petition1.htm