Sender:
From:
"Greg R. Berge" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 16:06:14 -0400
Written to me offline (but given clarification below I wanted to post to
people who might have solid info):

> Are you saying that teams like, for example, Niagara are not eligible for

> the tourney because they have not played a certain number of years in
Div-I
> even though they are in 97-98 playing the requisite number of Div-I
> opponents?  I did not realize this.  I do not recall that when Union
> joined the ECAC, Div-I, that for the first N years they were not eligible

> for the NCAA tourney  <snip>

That is what I'm saying, but whether I am correct or not... always
problematic.  I was under the impression that when Notre Dame reentered the
CCHA, when Mankato entered the WCHA, and now with UNO's plans to enter the
WCHA, in each case there was a probation period in which they were not
eligible for NCAA post-season berths.  Then again, I do not remember any
discussion of such with Union or UMass-Amherst.

It's possible that this might only be true for the teams in the perhaps
specious new Div. I league.

Or that it's all an Easy Cheese and Twizzlers hallucination (don't ask...)

- Greg