Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 12:58:18 -0400
John Haeussler posted the URL on INFO-HOCKEY-L for news about the NCAA Division I
Men's Ice Hockey Committee meetings, held back in July.  For those of you not on
the info list, here it is:

>  http://www.ncaa.org/news/19970804/active/3429n11.html

Some interesting stuff in this press release, or whatever it is, including the
two highlights John mentioned.

>The major news is that the NCAA selection criteria will remain
>unchanged for 1998, although the committee agreed to
>evaluate alternatives to the "results of the last 20 games"
>criterion.
>
>Also, games versus emerging programs (i.e. new) will not be
>included when calculating the rating percentage index (RPI).

The actual text is "... the committee also voted that games against emerging
programs (institutions starting new hockey programs that are not eligible for
championship competition) would not be considered. The action was taken in an
effort to assist the institutions with emerging programs in establishing quality
schedules."  So playing games against a "new" Div. I program will not adversely
affect your RPI.

I wonder what "new" means... is Niagara, starting their second year of Div. I
competition (playing in the Div. III ECAC West and not scheduling enough games
against Div. I foes to be eligible for the Div. I tourney) still considered
"new"?  I assume a game against a team like Canisius, which is also Div. I but
not eligible for the postseason, *would* count in the RPI, since Canisius has
been around for several years.  When is a "new" program not a "new" program?
 It's not like the NCAA to be so vague :-)

A few other notes:  the committee "...agreed to implement a detailed effort to
educate coaches and the public about the selection process."  Well, a tip of the
hat to them if they follow through with this.  The effort is long overdue.
 Maybe they could contract with certain HOCKEY-L gurus to handle the education
process :-)

"Reiterated its policy that, whenever possible, conference matchups in the first
round of the championship should be avoided."  In other words, avoid the rush
and start griping now, 'cause your team is going to get shafted.

All four conferences will receive two automatic berths to the postseason in
1998.  Also, "...the committee noted the establishment of the Metro Atlantic
Athletic Conference for hockey."  I confess I'm not sure what that is.  Has this
been around for a while and is just coming to the attention of the committee?
 Or is it a for-real new conference, perhaps the long-rumored fifth Div. I
league?  (I think I've heard of the MAAC in basketball/football)

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"They're multi-purpose.  Not only do they put the clips on, they also take
 them off."
-- Defense contractor, explaining why his company charged the Pentagon $1,000
   for a pair of pliers (from "The 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said")