Sender:
From:
Scott Spooner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 15:41:52 -0500
To: "John R. Nash" <[log in to unmask]>
At 01:20 PM 4/1/97 -0600, John Nash wrote:

>I have to agree that the UMich band is rather run-of-the-mill for a hockey
>band.  As a former bandsman, I should acknowledge the work and spirit that
>goes into making a good "pep band," and the UMich band certainly has spirit
>and plays their music well. The problem really comes down to creativity and
>variety.  Too few songs, and especially too much of the much-maligned "high
>school band" cheer.

If you are refering to the "Let's go Blue" cheer that everyone uses (Go BU,
Let's go Sioux, etc.), it was writen by a Michigan student, the same one
that wrote "The Victors" back at the turn of the century. (Louis Elbel, I
believe, his field is a great place for roller hockey!)  So, as you can see,
when Michigan uses it, they are being original.  All this comes from someone
who is not really the biggest Michigan Hockey Pep Band fan. (Now, if you are
talking about the Mumford HS band, now we are talking.)

Scott Spooner

Thank you seniors and the rest of the team for a great season.

University of Michigan
NCAA Hockey Champions, '48,'51,'52,'53,'55,'56,'64,'96