Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 22:53:23 -0400
At 7:35 PM -0500 2/25/97, Greg Ambrose wrote:
> Tom Curtis writes, in part:
>
> > And my perspective on last season versus this season for New
> >Hampshire is that the coach must share the blame for the
> >"underperformance" last year, not just be cited for turning it around
> >this year.
>
> But shouldn't Anderson and Pooley be "blames" for this teams' shoddy
> performances in the first half of the season?  This an award for a FULL
> season of accomplishment, not just one half.  I just hope his peers agree
> with me.

Depends on how you look at it.  There is ample evidence to suggest that for
various reasons both PC & Merrimack took longer to come around - both teams
had a number of freshmen to work in on defense - freshmen who took longer
to adjust than UNH's freshmen did - as well as some injuries in the first
half.  Can't blame the coaches for those things.

And as I showed, at least in the Merrimack-UNH comparison, the improvement
both teams have shown as compared to last year is similar.  That is over
the entire season.  So if you go on improvement over last year, it remains
a tossup.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****