Sender:
From:
William Sangrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 08:11:03 -0500
The comments recently about how Cornell coach Mike Schafer seems to be in
touch with the fans at Lynah does not surprise me in the least.  He seems
to have always had a good understanding of how the fans can make that
small rink an absolute pit for opposing teams.  ***Warning, history alert***
One incident that spoke volumes about this occured during the '85-86
Championship season.  During a game with Yale, an Eli was crushed with a
huge check against the boards in front of our seat (Mike may have been
the checker) and his stick flew into the lap of a friend of mine (3 rows
from the ice).  At the next stoppage, the Yale player demanded that the
ref get his stick back (not popular with the Lynah crowd).  As the game
continued, I noticed that Mike, sitting on the players bench across from
us, turned to the manager and got a second stick in his hand.  At the
next break, he skated over and handed the extra stick to my friend.
Needless to say it made her day, and was adored by the Faithful.  This
concern for the fans seems to have carried over to Mike's coaching.
Cornell is certainly the better for it.

William Sangrey
Cornell '87&'94
Let's Go RED!!!