Sender:
From:
"Klein, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 12:37:00 PST
I've always preferred one ref. Why double the opportunity to screw up?
The two-ref system works only when you two referees who have worked together
for a long time.
I remember Bob Gilray and Bob Kasaback (sorry if the spelling is wrong), who
weren't great skaters in their later years, but were a great team because of
their positioning.
Individually, a lot of people didn't like Medo Martinello, but paired with
Dino Panneccia, they made a great team.
I've complained plenty in print about referees over the year.
It's an imperfect science.
Of course, so is sportswriting and being a fan!
My guess that fans are more biased than sportswriters, and sportswriters are
more biased than refs.
Coaches tend to be more biased than refs, too.
So where does that leave the ref?
I say leave them alone, at least alone on the ice.
The one ref system keeps it simple.
Steve Klein