Sender:
From:
"Howard M. Quimby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 10:31:27 -0500
> I have not heard anything else since yesterday as to the cause of the
> leak.  I also have no idea what was done or needs to be done to
> correct the problem.

It's been reported that a faulty valve may have been the cause of the leak.  I
understand the valve is located on or near the 2,000 lb. tank at the base of
the cooling tower behind the Whittemore center.  It was reported that
excessive pressure in the tank caused the leak.  No word on what caused the
excess pressure.

Also in Durham, the recently-constructed roof over the Jackson's Landing rink
collapsed due to heavy snow.  Both the Men's and Women's teams had future
practices scheduled at the public rink.  Does anyone know why UNH was going to
practice at Jackson's and not at the Whitt?  (The practices were scheduled
before the ammonia leak).

  \_  \_  \_     Howard M. Quimby                [log in to unmask]
  \_\_\_  \_     Natural Intelligence, Inc.      Tel (617) 876-7680 x1208
  \_ \__  \_     Cambridge, MA                   Fax (617) 492-7425