Sender:
From:
Tom Smith Tseng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 1995 23:11:16 -0500
> I have heard,
>however, that it's possibly not all his fault.  Take a look at the lacrosse
>program, look where that has fallen.  I am now at Princeton, and the lacrosse
>and hockey programs of the two schools are virtual mirror images over the last
>10 years.  I have heard great things about the Princeton admissions dept. and
>the feeling is mutual with admissions toward the coaches.  I have heard the
>opposite lately with Cornell admissions.

I'd like all of you out there to know that Admissions staff at Cornell are
some of the most ardent Lynah Faithfuls you'll find on campus.  I have held
season tickets since 1989, the year I started working for Engineering
Admissions.  Near my seats, I can spot Chris Writer (HumEc), Nancy Meislahn
(Undergraduate Admissions Director), Randy Stewart (Ag Life Sciences),
Heather Nichols (UAO/Alumni Affairs), Barbara Abrams (Associate Dean of
Admissions), Don Saleh (Acting Dean of Admissions), Susan Murphy (former
Dean of Admissions, now a Vice President), with their respective spouses or
friends.  Plus others.  We all want Cornell Athletic to do well, and in our
own ways we try hard to assist coaches to that end.

We are also professionals in our jobs.  That means, coaches cannot just
steamroll over us, either.  Just like I don't tell coaches how to coach
during a game, I don't think they should tell me how to make admission
decisions, either.  They can make it clear to us in no uncertain terms how
a recruit will matter to their programs.  Our job in admissions is to our
respective colleges and the applicants to make sure that once on campus,
these athletes will be good students in the first place.  So, if we turn
down a state champion for acceptance, it's not because we're against a
particular team or coach, it's most likely the student himself/hersself
does not demonstrate the necessary academic credentials.  It's that simple.

Believe me, Admissions people at Cornell have to balance many factors when
they make a decision.  If we adhere to one strict set of guidelines, with
no room whatsoever for broad interpretation, then many students would have
never stepped foot on campus in the first place.  Just remember the story
(true or not, I'm not all together sure):  One year, Penn needed a tuba
player on their band.  So the admissions office obliged, admitting a number
of candidates who played tuba.  The Penn band ended up with 8 tuba players.
That's called the institutional needs in our business, and it's part of
the review process.

So, stop beating on the admissions people at Cornell for not doing their
share to help athletics.  In reality, I think it's just the opposite.

Tom S. Tsesng '87 MEng '94
Former Associate Director of Admissions
College of Engineering at Cornell University

Now Assistant Director for International Public Affairs
Still an Ardent Supporter of Cornell Athletics

Aloha,

Tom Smith Tseng
in New York City