Sender:
From:
Rick A McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 1995 00:27:04 +0001
(All info from BC Game Summary Sheet):
Friday, 02/17/95   At Kelley Rink, Conte Forum, Chestnut Hill, MA

MERRIMACK COLLEGE 1  2  1 - 4    6-9-5  HE 13-14-5 overall
BOSTON COLLEGE    0  1  0 - 1    7-11-2 HE 10-18-2 overall

Shots on goal: MC   12  12   9  - 33
               BC    5  14   8  - 27

PERIOD ONE
----------
    BC - Chase (hooking)                      0:53
MC1 Matt Adams 20 (Krauss, Legault)           6:53
    BC - Canavan (charging)                   9:27
    BC - Masters (roughing)                  17:02
    MC - Adams (interference)                17:02
    MC - Beck (interference)                 19:57

PERIOD TWO
----------
    MC - Cornforth (slashing)                 1:17
    BC - Lewis (slashing)                     4:41
    MC - Krauss (hooking)                     4:41
    MC - Adams (interference)                 4:46
    BC - Haggerty (hooking)                   5:17
MC2 Claudio Peca 6 (Beck)                     7:53
MC3 Ryan Mailhiot 2 (Johnson, Costa)         10:53
BC1 Ryan Haggerty 21 (Ashe)                  13:13
    BC - Ashe (hooking)                      19:45

PERIOD THREE
------------
    MC - Weichselbaumer (tripping)            0:59
    MC - Poirier (interference)               8:17
MC4 Mark Goble 7 (Beck)                      10:17
    MC - Krauss (roughing)                   10:41
    MC - Adams (roughing)                    10:41
    BC - B. Callahan (roughing)              10:41
    BC - G. Taylor (roughing)                10:41
          served by Canavan
    MC - Weichselbaumer (cross-checking)     16:18
    BC - Carlson (slashing)                  18:01
    MC - Krauss (10:00 misconduct)           19:09

Power Plays: MC - 0 for 5, BC - 0 for 6
Penalties:   MC - 11 (30 Min.), BC - 9 (18 Min.)

Goalies: MC - Martin Legault (60:00)  -  5 13  8  - 26 saves
         BC - Greg Taylor (60:00)     - 11 10  8  - 29 saves

Three Stars:   1. Martin Legault (MC goalie)
               2. Ryan Haggerty (BC lw, 1G)
               3. Rob Beck (MC lw, 2A)

Attendance - 4529
Referees - Rich Fowkes, Steve McBride
Linesman - Paul Scleparis
COMMENTS:
Merrimack came out dominant over BC in the first period and set the tone
for this game.  Perhaps BC was suffering from a letdown after the Beanpot,
but they did not play their best game tonight.  (This is likely
the reason for BU's performance tonight, losing big to Providence.)
Merrimack's defensive strength, ability to clear the puck from the
middle, and strong play by Legault in goal prevented BC from getting many
good scoring opportunities.  Conversely, BC suffered as they have for much
of the season with the periodic defensive lapse, giving up several
breakaways, 2-on-1's, and wide-open shots.  Greg Taylor made some
sparkling saves in the first period, but the 2 Merrimack goals in the
second period deflated BC and they were not able to respond.

FIRST PERIOD
This period was all Merrimack, as they started buzzing the BC end from the
moment the puck was dropped.  I don't know if MC has enjoyed many periods
this year where they were the dominant offensive team, but they had many
chances early in the period.  Matt Adams was sent on a break and was
able to roof the shot after Taylor dropped down low.  BC made a late
recovery but was only able to get 5 shots on goal.  At one point in the
period, when BC was desperately trying to clear the puck, they shot it
into the stands and injured a young boy when it struck him just below his
right eye.  The paramedics and trainers fixed him up and he went to the
hospital for X-rays.  A minute after that another puck came flying up and
bruised a young woman on the shoulder.  I started to feel as besieged as
the BC defense ....

SECOND PERIOD
BC came out more prepared and carried play early in the period, getting
better opportunities, but nothing was too close to beating Legault.  After
BC got some chances on a 4-on-3 power play, MC got a short power play and
pushed the play into the BC end.  Shortly after that BC was unable to
clear the puck from their zone, Beck made a soft pass to Peca, freeing him
for a left-side shot that beat Taylor 5-hole.  Another Merrimack goal
just 3 minutes later took a lot of the steam out of BC.  BC got one
back at 13:13 when Ashe was able to keep the puck in the zone, Haggerty
picked it up in the middle and was able to rocket one past Legault.
But that was it for the night.

THIRD PERIOD
Play was a bit more defensive, and the refs let some of the clutching and
grabbing go.  Both teams had some chances, but the only score came when
Goble was sent free down the right side and was able to lift it over
Taylor.

This game was key in the battle for position in the lower half of the
Hockey East.  Merrimack jumps into 6th place ahead of BC, with the two
remaining games of the series at Merrimack.  Unless BC can return the
favor at Merrimack, they will probably end up 7th or 8th.  Merrimack,
on the other hand, can solidify 6th place with another win tomorrow
night against BC, and have a shot at 5th if Mass-Lowell falters.
BC plays the rematch at Merrimack tomorrow night, plays at Providence 2/26,
at Merrimack again 3/3, and at BU 3/4.  Tonight was their last home game
of the season.
I had the pleasure of meeting Mike and Heather Machnik at the game, and
Mike is as personable as he is knowledgable, as those of you who follow
Hockey-L know.  (I know I said I wasn't going to post a box, Mike, but
I guess I felt I should ...)  One of the pleasures of following the list
is feeling part of the college hockey community, and meeting other
"hockey-crazed" fans.  I look forward to meeting more Hockey-L'ers as
the playoffs and NCAA's commence.
I also had a nice discussion with Jeff Przech and Dave Booher, who are
the hockey beat writers for the Heights newspaper at BC.  They, like me,
are hoping that BC just had an off night and will return to their better
form for the remaining games.
Rick McAdoo                                  [log in to unmask]
BC will return!                              GO EAGLES!