Sender:
From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 1995 16:08:40 GMT
Comments:
Warning -- original Sender: tag was [log in to unmask]
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Commentary on Vermont vs. RPI  (1/27/95)
>
>Final Score:  Vermont 6  RPI 1
>

>This was a 0-0 game for the first 30+ minutes.

Mainly because of some spectacular goaltending by Mike Tamburro and
Tim Thomas.  While the most flashy of the saves came from Tammy's end,
Thomas had some good glove saves.  He never seemed to be tested high,
as even on odd-man situations and breaks, RPI went low, not high.
Tamburro looks like he is over his knee problem, as he was Mr. Rubberman
early on.

>Then Vermont gained an advantage.  The way the game was going, it
>was to be a 0-0 score until overtime.  But, the Catamounts got their
>act together and took a lead.  Then increased it.  Then a little more.
>Eleven seconds into the third, it was 3-0.  After Perrin scored the
>third goal, Askew cross-checked him.  I did not see the play.
>However, the referee awarded Askew a 5 minute major, and the
>spotters for WRPI did not disagree, so I tend to believe it was
>warranted.  On the 5 minute power play, Vermont scored two more
>to make it 5-0.

Believe me, it was warranted all right.  After Perrin scored from the top of
the slot, he began to raise his hands in celebration.  As he did, Askew
took the shaft of his stick and nailed him right in the back of the neck.
One of the most obvious and stupidest penalties I have ever seen anyone take
in my entire life.  The good thing that came about here was that the Cats
did not retaliate immediately after.  They help their cool and did not
go after Askew.  Class on their part.

>In my opinion, the game turned on two events:
>
>1.  Vermont woke up sooner.
>
>2.  Vermont took advantage of a childish RPI mistake.

I can actually add 2 more things that I think turned events.

1) The Catamounts just wanted it more.  You could see that by watching
the play.  Vermont was much more spirited than RPI was.  It showed, and
it seemed the only person who had that desire was Mike Tamburro.

2) Kurt mentions it below, Defense.  The defense of Vermont was stifling.
They did not allow the boards, nor the front of Thomas to be RPI's.

>By the time these events ran their course, it was 5-0 Vermont, en
>route to a 6-1 Catamount win.
>
>Vermont played well both ways.  The Ruid-Perrin-St. Louis line is
>fantastic.  Solid defense in their own zone.  I have difficulty believing
>they lost their last 4 games, all at home, no less.

That line has been fantastic period.  All season long. The Cats got
things going from other places last night.  Other lines, though it
did not show on the scoresheet, and the defense in particular.

>The RPI offense was not in the building.  Mesmerized by the OJ
>trial, or something.  The defense wasn't that sharp, either.

I think the RPI offense was mesmerized by two things.

1) The Vermont defense.  No room to manuever for the Engineers, as
they were specatular.

2) Unfamiliar linemates.  The only intact line was the Hamelin-Healey-Clarke
line.  I'm still a little baffled at Coach Fridgen's mixing of lines that
work for him.

>To give some perspective, we at WRPI award three stars to the RPI
>players who performed the best each game.  For tonight, the three stars
>were:
>
>#3  Brian Tapper
>
>     He scored the only Engineer goal.
>
>#2  Chris Aldous
>
>    He's the only regular who didn't dress.
>
>#1  Brian Mack
>
>    He's a friend of tonight's statistician, Jeff Casello.  Brian just
>stood on the catwalk all night.  Has no connection with RPI
>whatsoever.

For those of you who might want more info on Brian, he is a UVM alum.

One more thing. I felt that even though Tamburro gave up 5 goals,
he was spectacular for 2 periods, and some of the third.  He played
a great game, and was not awarded a star (but then I did not really
push for him, it was just my thinking).

>You can tell from this just how poorly the Engineers played.

I still maintain that RPI played well, but the desire was not there.
But I credit this victory to a great Vermont defense, and hard work an
desire by the Cats.

>Vermont played a good second 30 minutes.  The first 30 were
>nothing spectacular, but tonight, 30 good minutes were all that was
>needed.
>
>Kurt Stutt

One more thing.  The only thing where Vermont did not dominate was on
faceoffs.  In my estimation, 80% of the faceoffs were won by RPI, yet
nothing was done out of them.  Winning faceoffs at that clip, you
should see the dump and chase board game in the offensive zone, so that
faceoffs will come in the offensive zone.  RPI carries too much, and
tries for the "homerun" pass too much.  The defense also has to carry the
puck better out of the zone, and make the best first pass, not just a random
shot up ice.

Tonight they play the Big Green of Dartmouth.  We'll see which team shows
up, Team A, Team B, Team C, or Team Z.

* Jayson Moy  RPI '89 '93  *  One of the Voices of Rensselaer Engineer      *
* [log in to unmask]             *  Hockey, Baseball, Football, and Basketball    *
* The "Asian Invasion"     *  on Crystal Clear 91.5FM  WRPI, Troy *EASM*    *