Sender:
From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 1994 04:29:20 -0400
[log in to unmask] (Mike Machnik) wrote:

>OK, I pored through the NC$$ Manual tonight and came up
>with the  following.
>
>12.2.3.2.4.1 deals with the limitation on restoration
>of eligibility  for Major Junior A Ice Hockey, as
>Charlie pointed out.  "...such  individual shall be
>denied at least the first year of intercollegiate
>athletics competition in the sport of ice hockey at the
>certifying  institution and shall be charged with the
>loss of at least one season  of eligibility in the
>sport of ice hockey."
>
>14.3.2.1.1 deals with DivI partial qualifiers (which
>apparently  Latendresse was because of his SATs).  "An
>entering freshman...who is  a partial qualifier...may
>not practice or compete during the first  academic year
>in residence."  And according to 14.3.3(a), partial
>qualifiers in DivI have only three seasons in which
>they may compete.

>14.12.1 reads, "If a student-athlete is ineligible
>under the  provisions of the constitution, by-laws or
>other regulations of the  Association, the institution
>shall be obligated to apply immediately  the applicable
>rule and to withhold the student-athlete from all
>intercollegiate competition."

According to rule 14.3.2.1.1 Latendresse could not compete as a
freshman and would have only three seasons in which to compete.
 OK, he did not play his freshman year, which satisfies that
rule and leaves him with 3 years of eligibility.  Rule
12.2.3.2.4.1 does not allow him to compete for his first year
at Maine, which he did not.  It also charges him with the loss
of at least one season of eligibility (I believe he lost only
one year), so that leaves him with two years of eligibility, of
which he has played both.

As I interpret the rules, both kept him from playing as a
freshman and both took one year of his eligibility, leaving him
only two years to play for Maine.  Nowhere do I see anything
that would require him to sit out his sophomore season once he
sat out his freshman season, only that he had two years of
eligibility remaining.  Furthermore, in compliance with rule
14.12.1, both rules 14.3.2.1.1 and 12.2.3.2.4.1 were applied
immediately, at the time of his entrance to Maine, so there is
no violation of this rule.

Does this make sense to anyone?  I know what I mean, but I am
not sure I have been able to explain it.

Sean Pickett     -     Go BU Terriers, 1994 Hockey East
Champions!