Sender:
From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 1994 01:31:58 EDT
I don't know anything official, but I've reconciled the decision in a
slightly different fashion.

According to 14.3.3(a) (SATs), Latendresse had only three seasons to
compete.  According to 12.2.3.2.4.1 (Major Junior A), one of those three
seasons is lost.

Latendresse sat out the one season 12.2.3.2.4.1 requires and then had
two years remaining.  The 1992-93 season is unaffected.

Maybe that's not clear.  Let's assume for the moment, that only
12.2.3.2.4.1 applies.  Latendresse sits the required 1991-92 season and
has three years of eligibility left ...  and can play starting in the
1992-93 season.

Now let's add 14.3.2.1.1.  This says he cannot practice for the 1st year
in residence.  He didn't.

Now let's add 14.3.3(a).  This says he has only three seasons to
compete.  The obvious intention is to restrict from 4 to 3 seasons.
Since he was already at 3 seasons, this rule lessens participation to 2
seasons.

As reported by everyone in the Bangor/Orono area (I didn't see Boston
Globe article referred to by Neil), the NCAA reports Latendresse has
used all of his eligibility and no foul.

Of course, Latendresse was fouled since Maine did not get an official
decision until a couple of weeks ago.  October is hardly the month to
go looking for a hockey job ...  especially in a year that the NHL isn't
playing.

cheers,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]

LISTSERV Gem: SPLIT=20
Add "SPLIT=20" whenever you obtain a file from the HOCKEY-L archives if
your mail program can't deal with larger mail files.  SPLIT=20 causes
the request to be satisfied by sending the file in chunks of about
20,000 characters.  SPLIT values may range from 20 to 500.