Sender:
From:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 1994 13:22:44 -0400
I've been on vac for a couple weeks, so excuse me if any of this hit the
list already.

First my last piece on Noblet I forgot to cite my sources, most of that article
came from last friday's tech topics.  I also wanted to mention that
MTU now has 2 buildings named after former hockey coaches, John MacInnes
and U. J. Noblet  and that I also had the honor of meeting Ed Maki, a
player and coach for MTU in the 1930's at the dedication.

Hockey season is just around the corner!  Its 50 degrees in houghton
today and I picked up my season Hockey tickets up last week.
Are we the first school to give out tickets?  anybody else get um this
early?

I attended the annual alumni Hockey game saturday night.  The most
note worthy returning alumni to play in the game were  Randy McKay
of the new jersey devils (he put on a moves clinic setting up the
rest of his teammates in the slot), and Defenseman Tim Watters of the
Los Angles Kings (showed his gretzy education, by centering a pass from
behind the net, over the net.) ;-)  And Bill Rowe, I can't remember
 the age, or year graduated, but I just hope to be walking at that age,
let alone skating.  Bill scored from the left circle on a beautiful
pass from Randy McKay!  That was the highlite of the nite as the game
ended in an 11-11 tie on a penalty shot taken by a alumn from 1951 (sorry
can't recall the name right now.  All the alumni games end in a tie, and
when the game was 7-3 the loosing team scored a 2 pointer to make it 7-5
(Not sure if we were supposed to catch that or not!)

Coach Mancini had a hattrick in the game, but needs work, as he left the
puck at the top of the circle once on a rush and missed several passing attempts
;-)  HI BOB!  (by the way Bob is on the list now if you couldn't tell.

McKay and Watters spent plenty of time after the game signing autographs
for the fans at the entrance to the locker room.  It was fun game, and
Bob hopes more of you alumni get back for next years reunion, which will
feature the 20 year reunion of the 1975 NCAA champs and the 30 year reunion
of the 1965 NCAA champs.  Should be a good time.

In other news from MTU Hockey, I learned this weekend that senior
goaltender Mario LaCasse from Kent State will play his last season as a Huskie
this season.  Anybody have his career stats?  I don't know much about him.

Bob
Hoping that August remains the only month without recorded snowfall in Houghton
.........It's gonna be close tonight!  ;-)