Sender:
From:
"Robert L. Dunn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 1994 09:05:00 -0400
On Thu, 4 Aug 1994 [log in to unmask] wrote:

>      The team,  as I understand it,  has spots open for 18 scholarship players
> and X number of non-scholarship players.   Why not let the two freshmen (if
> they want to) compete for one of the 18 scholarship places on the team?
> I had thought that was commonly the situation in football in Div. 1-A.
> Don't most schools at any given time have several scholarship players
> redshirting in football?   What I'm interested in knowing,  is there a rule
> that prevents this?

A school can only give out a set number of full scholarships (which you
stated all 18 were).  BC aside (and anyone else that has managed to get
by), schools cannot offer more than the limit for that sport.  Competing
for the scholarship would not be fair to those who were promised the
scholarship.  Contrary to popular belief, not everyone can afford to pay
their way through school.  I believe the NCAA used to allow coaches to
use such a "competition" to award scholarships, especially in football.
That was part of the reason some schools had 150 person squads.  For all
sports, the school has a set number of scholarships they can offer, with
this number including all redshirt players.  When a person is redshirted
(in all sports) they continue to receive a scholarship and practice with
the team; they cannot compete for their team.