Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 1994 11:32:27 -0400
The following came from Steve Weisfeldt.  He's having trouble posting,
so he asked that this be forwarded.  - mike

Date: Mon,  9 May 94 10:25:26 EDT
From: [log in to unmask]

Following is a reprint of an article out of Saturday's Lowell SUN.  I've
tried twice to post it to HOCKEY-l (as well as an article regarding the
new nickname/logo) but for some reason my posts aren't making it
through...

Dennis Whitton, sports editor of The Sun, had a brief "follow-up" section
in his "Ramblings" section in yesterday's paper - if you're interested in
what he had to say, I can send it along....

DENVER PURSUES CROWDER

LOWELL - Bruce Crowder, who led the University of Massachusett-Lowell
hockey team back to national prominence in just his third year behind the
bench, could be leaving to take the head coaching job at the University of
Denver.

Denver, which fired Frank Serratore two months ago after the Pioneers
finished ninth in the WCHA, has apparently narrowed its search down to two
or three finalists, one of whom is Crowder.

Crowder has been invited to Denver for a formal interview next week.  His
wife Lucy will accompany him on the trip.

"My decision will be in the best interest of my family.  It might not even
be one based on finances," Crowder told The Sun this morning.  "I will be
going out to look at the school, the hockey program, and the academics.
Lucy will be going out to look at everything from the area to the schools
for our kids.

"A lot will be going into this decision, and it will be a family
decision."

Earlier this year Crowder was reportedly being considered for a job in the
pro ranks.  But he said at the time he was not interested in a job at that
level.

"This is something that goes with the territory when you have some
success," said the former Boston Bruin about the interest he has been
attracting.  "I'm not looking to leave.  UMass-Lowell has been good to me,
and I'm happy here, but I have to think about what is in the best interest
of my family.

"If it were just an ego thing," Crowder added, "I'd take a job in the
pros."

Crowder coached the Chiefs to their most successful Division I season ever
this past winter.  UMass-Lowell went 25-10-5, finished second in Hockey
East, and advanced to the Lamoriello Cup championship game for the first
time ever before losing to Boston University 3-2.

The Chiefs were then selected to the NCAA tournament for only the second
time in their 11-year Division I history and knocked off Michigan State in
the first round before being edged by Minnesota 2-1 in double overtime in
the second longest game in tournament history.

Crowder was named Division I Coach of the Year by the New England Hockey
Writers.

Crowder has coached the Chiefs to back-to-back 20-win seasons and has a
56-46-11 mark in three years at UMass-Lowell.

Other candidates for the Denver job have been reported as former Boston
College coach Steve Cedorchuk, Maine coach Shawn Walsh, and Chicago
Blackhawks assistant coach and former Denver star Rich Preston.

(END)