Sender:
From:
Ronald Correia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 1994 10:28:15 -0500
Somehow, I find it hard to sympathize with the media.  They get in for
free, have free meals, have excellent seating at center ice, and still
gripe about the accomodations.  As a FAN (remember us?  The reason these
sports exist at this level?) I found the Knick to be a first class venue.
Easy access from the turnpike, adequate (and inexpensive) parking, good
crowd control, no lines in the restrooms, comfortable seating, and no
traffic jams leaving the building.  This is the second time I've been to
the Knick and I look forward to returning.

Get used to that type of press seating.  You'll probably see it again in
Providence for next year's final four.  Using a section for the media is
standard in a lot of arenas.  As a fan, BTW, it upsets me that the media
gets the best seating.  They're not paying for the seat, so get them out
of my way.  I sat front row balcony at the Garden a couple of years ago
only to have the press with cameras standing in the alcove right below me
for the entire series.  They blocked my view of the entire event and I was
paying good money for the seats.  Sorry, but they don't belong there in
front of paying customers.

The no reentry policy will be in effect in Providence as well.  In fact,
I've never been to an arena that ALLOWED reentry!  That didn't bother me
much in Albany.  I made sure I ate before I entered.  I also found that
the price of food at the Knick is MUCH cheaper than at the Providence
Civic Center.  Enjoy paying $2.00 for a small coke and $4.00 for Nachos.

The Knick is in Downtown Albany, much as the Civic Center is in Downtown
Providence.  Like most major cities, the downtown areas close at 5:00 or
6:00 PM.  Providence will be no exception.  You will find that the pubs in
the area will be open late, but don't expect to see something like a Ben
and Jerrys near the Civic Center.  The restaurants and bars next to the
Knick were open late both nights, much as the same will be in Providence.

The bottom line is, if you didn't find the Knick particularly accomodating
than you will certainly be disappointed in both the Worcester Centrum and
the Providence Civic Center.  Let's keep in mind that the purpose of these
events is to watch quality hockey -- not keep the media well fed and
entertained.  It's high time the media realized that they should simply
report the news -- not be wined and dined by the newsmakers.

-- Ron