Sender:
From:
Maria Maddaloni <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 1995 17:35:04 EST
> Karl - Saratoga CSR - x4226 <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>
>          ...With the Maine situation being just the latest of many
>         "violations" to NCAA rules, I was wondering if anyone had
>         compiled a list of things that were acceptable to do for a
>         student-athelete.  There are plenty of people out there
>         that just want to give these kids a hand, and like me, I'm
>         sure a lot of them just want to know what is ok to do for
>         them.

Three years ago I worked for the athletic department at Syracuse;
this was at the same time that the NCAA axe fell on their basketball
program.  Even though I was just a part-time tutor, we became
well-schooled in "what's acceptable."  Unfortunately, few things are.
As I was told, a fan/booster cannot do anything for a
student-athlete that he or she would not do for any other student at
the college or university.  This can mean something as simple as
giving a student-athlete a ride back to his or her dorm!

My advice to anyone who is thinking about helping out a
student-athlete in any way is to contact the compliance officer or AD
at the college or university.  The NCAA's rules on fan support are
explicit and lengthy and as such, most student-athletes do not personally
know what is legit and what is not.  It's much better to be clear up
front than to watch subsequent teams suffer.

"Charlie Brown, didn't you know that Christmas is a commercial
enterprise?  It's run by an eastern syndicate, you know."

-- Lucy

Maria E. Maddaloni
Program Manager for Performance Measurement
Harvard University Health Services
Cambridge, MA
internet: [log in to unmask]