Sender:
From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 14:18:38 EST
Comments:
Authenticated sender is <[log in to unmask]> To: Mike <[log in to unmask]>
> Does anyone know the reason for dropping the scholarships?

David Swank, Chair, NCAA Committee on Infractions, was quoted in the
Chicago Tribune and reprinted in the Opinions column of the December
18, 1995 issue of The NCAA News:

    "I think if you will talk to the coaches where scholarship
    reductions are imposed, they feel that that is the most significant
    penalty. They don't like to be off television, and it costs them
    money, but if you take a number of scholarships away from a school,
    it's difficult to continue the program at the same level that you
    might want to.  We feel it's a significant penalty that may have
    more of an effect than a ban on television or bowls."

Now, one might ask the reason for "penalizing" one coach 1 month and 1
coach 6 months from off-campus recruiting.  I can't answer that one.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: [log in to unmask]
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE