From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 14:19:49 -0400
At 9:52 AM -0700 3/26/97, Greenie wrote:
> However, I think the key to the game here will be defense. While BU hasn't
> been an offensive juggernaut this season (as they've been in the past),
> there's little doubt that they have the potential to score BIG. They've
> also played a few high-scoring teams and kept their defense tight. Based on
> some of the "bigger" games of the season however, and looking especially at
> the BU-DU matchup, I wonder if BU's defensive success hasn't been so much a
> stingy defense but a team-wide focus on "plaing not to lose, instead of
> playing to win" as Parker put it during the OT timeout on Saturday.

Not at all.  That was the only time in recent weeks that I have seen BU
look that way - playing "not to lose" - and it was probably due more to the
shock of surrendering the tying goal late in regulation.  BU's defensive
success is a result of them having one of the best sets of defensemen in
the country and solid goaltending, as well as playing a good team defensive
style.

And their offense comes from their defense.  The Ds have decent numbers,
but the key for them is the way they are able to move the puck up ice
quickly.  Opposing teams have tried to dump it in and go get it, but BU's
Ds are good enough that they can gather it up and break out before the
other team can get to the puck.  The way to beat them might be to carry it
over the line rather than dumping it in, but if BU is playing well in the
neutral zone, they will break these plays up most of the time.

Michigan might be skilled enough that they can get through the BU D where
other teams have not been able to.  The closest team to Michigan that BU
has played in terms of the caliber of forwards has been UNH, and BU was
able to contain them pretty well (as was CC).

BU has a better defense and goaltending this year than last year, so there
is a chance that this time around against Michigan, the game will be
closer.  But if they are going to win, it will be a close, low-scoring game
- not a shootout.  Tim Brule said that if BU has a lapse then Michigan will
take advantage and blow the game open, and I agree.  BU has to play well
for 60 minutes to win.  But if the game is tied or within a goal in the
third, then it may be a tossup at that point.  BU can't afford to fall
behind by two or three in the first two periods.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****