From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 1995 17:31:17 -0400
I really was hoping that someone else would write about the
BU-Tornoto exhibiton game for the readers of INFO-HOCKEY-L or
HOCKEY-L.  I first joined HOCKEY-L in the summer of 1995 around the
beginning of August.  I was thrilled that I had finally found a place
where I could get all, or most, of the college hockey information
about all the Divison I teams.

I went so far as to keep my own scoresheet for almost every BU game
last year, which I then posted to HOCKEY-L, along with game reviews
that I wrote up after most of the games.  From this I learned that I
have no desire to be a sports writer, and have to write down all the
game information, plus notes on great plays, etc.  Instead, this year
I plan to once again just be a fan and enjoy each and every game
without worrying about getting all the information.

I tried my best last year to make BU game information available to
HOCKEY-L, but even last year, I stopped writing up game reviews
towards the end of the season, and only posted boxscores.  The major
reason for this is because, since January, I have been spending more
and more time on trying to provide as complete information as I can
on BU hockey, both past and present, on the web site that I created
and maintain.

My interest in providing BU game information remains strong, but as a
publisher, if you will, not as a reporter.  What I would like is for
someone to write up BU game reviews for me to use on my web site, as
long as I find them acceptable.

I know not everyone on HOCKEY-L is on the world wide web, but that is
where my interest and effort is directed.  I apology to everyone who
gets their information from HCOKEY-L and INFO-HOCKEY-L, but I will no
longer be supplying the lists with game reviews or boxscores.

As a bonus for anyone who has actually read or scrolled this far, I
will give a short game review of the BU-Toronto game, which BU won
12-0.

First, attendance was free, but a $5 donation per person was asked
for to be given to the Kevin Mutch Scholarship Fund and the
University Hospital Cancer Fund in memory of Carl James.

Attendence for the game was good as I would estimate about 2500-3000
people were in the stands.  Certainly interst in the team is very
high, as the Terriers are the defending NCAA, Hockey East and Beanpot
Champions.  I was pleased to see the good turn-out, as last year I
was disappointed at the attendence for the exhibition game vs New
Brunswick.

J.P. McKersie did not dress for the game, nor did Chris Kelleher and
Chris O'Sullivan was moved back to defense to replace Kelleher.  Tom
Noble started the game in gaols and played for half of the game, when
he was replaced by freshamn netminder Michel Larocque.

Neither Terrier goalie was severly tested, as the Varsity Blues could only
manage at total of 13 shots on goal for the game, compared to 49 for
the Terriers.  Both golaies, however did make one or two nice saves.

Despite totally domainating the game, the Terriers did not play well
for the first and part of the second periods.  They did settle down
and play better in the third period, but looked like they still need
a lot of work.

On defense the players were far too offensive-minded, with the
possible exceptuions of Dan Ronan and Shane Johnson.  The major
'offenders' were Jeff Kealty and Jon Coleman, but even Doug Wood got
into the act, as he carried the puck in on the Toronto net in the
third period.

Offensively, as may be inferred by the score and shots-on-goal, the
Terriers appear ready to pick up where they left off last season.
The single most positive sign in the Terriers' offensive barrage was
the play of Captain Jay Pandolfo.  Coming off of an injury plagued
junior season he looked ready to lead the team in its defense of
their triple championships.  He was an offensive force the entire
game, scoring a hat trick along the way.

Mike Grier also looked good, although I was more impressed with his
play away from the puck, especailly on defense, than I was when he
had the puck.  Chris Drury also played well in my opinion, as did
Bill Pierce and Bob Lachance.  I was also  impressed with John Hynes,
as he attempts to become a regular on the team this year.

As for the freshmen, I was impressed with the playe of Dan Ronan, who
seemed to usually be in postion and played head-ups hockey for most
of the night.  In the third he received a major illegal hit (a 5:00
minute major), but was back out on the ice for his next regular
shift.

Of the forwards, I was most impressed with Travis Roy.  I am not sure
if that is because I just noticed him the most, as he is wearing
24, Jacques Jouberts former number, or not.  I also noticed several
nice plays by Albie O'Connell and Brendan Walsh, but for much of the
game I did not focus on them, or Scott King.

This is not to say they played poorly, but that I was noticing other
players when they were on the ice.  Therefore, I really can not say
how well they performed.  I will say that I did at least notice each
of them during the game.

The season opener on Friday against North Dakota will be a much more
telling game, as UND opened this weekend by sweeping North Michigan on the
road.

Sean Pickett            E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Go Terriers  1995 NCAA, Hockey East and Beanpot Champions
BU Hockey:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html