From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 06:16:47 -0600
Mike raises a hard question.  I attended every Beanpot between 1970 and
1991 (having flown back in from Edmonton for the last one.)  I did stay
for all of the blizzard game, but I have posted on this before.  My
fondest memory is more personal because my best friend from high school
went to Cornell, so that rivalry became very important because this
friend would stay with me in Boston for the ECAC's and NCAA tournaments.

Mike asked for memories of other teams.  The one that stands out for me
is the year Northeastern finally won.  To this day it annoys me that
their fans tend to cheer against BU because I was with them all the way
(meaning after BU was eliminated :-)).  It was great to see the joy
there, and the tournament got even better because we all knew after that
that the cliche about anyone being able to win it was true.

There was a long discussion last year about the Beanpot, and how it is
unique.  I hope the new Fleet Centre really does have fans close to the
action, because I'd hate to see the Beanpot atmosphere modified.

I also have memories particularly of the Michigan Tech Pep Band in its
overalls at the NCAA tournament in Boston (70 or 71-I'm getting old).  It
was in the Garden that I first witnessed the hoardes of Wisconsin fans
that emerge to support their team at tournament time, truly amazing.

I could go on forever, but I'll miss the place.  I had New England
Whalers season tickets one year, and often stood for the Bruins in the
playoffs, taking my life in my hands as I root for the Rangers.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!