From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 1995 17:19:52 +0000
 Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<deleted>
>Colleges in diverse areas of the country
> have tried to start teams, but have failed, e.g., Northern Arizona and
> US International in San Diego and this was before Title 9.

I remember when Northern Arizona discontiuned the hockey program.  As
I remember, ther local ice rink thye played in died and there was no
other local rink near the school.  They finished that season playing
their home games in Phoenix (I believe).  The school looked into
building a rink, but the cost was far beyond what the school could
afford.  I also believe that local supporters of the team attempted a
fund drive to raise a significant amount of money for a new rink, but
nothing every caem of it.  Question: What was the nickname of the
team?

> I personally think that had the Maine-Michigan game been shown in
> prime time it would have caused a significant increase in interest,
> but it was on a weekday in the early afternoon.  Besides for those of
> us on H-L, I doubt that many people went out of the way to watch it,
> and I doubt that anyone who taped it would have had the foresight to
> set the timer for a long enough period.  (Of course, ESPN made sure
> that no one saw the last 28 seconds complete anyway.)  Be that as it
> may, there will be further opportunities.

While, I did.  Besides being there, I also attempted to tape it on
ESPN.  As for setting the timer long enough, I set it for the lentgh
of the tape (6+ hours).  I learned my lesson way back in 1991, when I
set my VCR for the BU-Clarkson semifinal for 3 hours and then the
NCAA championship game for 3 hours, before flying out to St. Paul.
Of course, since BU lost the game I was not too upset I did not have
it completely on tape.  Every since I set my VCRs for the entire 6+
hours on a tape for each BU tournament game.

Sean Pickett
Go Boston University Terriers
1995 NCAA, Hockey East and Beanpot Champions
BU Hockey:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html
E-mail: [log in to unmask]