Sender:
From:
Stephen E Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 1995 10:39:57 EST
Dave Morgenstern asks:

>I have been reading all the talk about all the schools that want to move up
>to D1 while playing in the ECAC West and East.  I think this is great, but I
>have a question.  What makes one team, such as Niagara a Div 1 team, while
>one of its ECAC counterparts, such as Salem State, is Div 3?  Is it
>something to do with scholarships?  Or non league games against other Div 1
>teams?  Also, if they are not eligible to play in the D1 tourney, can they
>play in the 2 or 3?

Generally, NCAA schools must have all of their sponsored sports
playing at the same level.  There are some exceptions pertaining to
Div. II or III schools sponsoring certain sports at a higher level
(which is why there are a number of Div. III schools fielding Div. I
hockey programs).  However, Div. I schools cannot sponsor teams at
the Div. II or III level.  Niagara U. is a Div. I school; therefore
its new hockey program must be classified as Div. I.

In order to be eligible for the Div. I hockey championship, though, a
school must play a minimum number of games (20?) against Div. I
opponents.  So, ECAC/West schools -- like Canisius -- which play a
mixed scheduled of I, II and III opponents are not eligible for the
tournament.  And, because they are classified as Div. I programs,
they also are not eligible for the Div. II or III tournaments.

Dr. Stephen E. Roth                [log in to unmask]
Dean of Student Services
Canisius College                            (716) 888-2522
Buffalo, New York 14226                 FAX (716) 888-3190