Sender:
From:
"Dr. Pamela J. Sweeney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 1995 10:28:09 EDT
No, we're not tired of the two-year-old Mariucci yet, but it's not a
joke either.  The rink would serve as home ice for (drum roll, please)
the University of Minnesota WOMEN's hockey team.  I'll quote bits of
the Minnesota Daily article, but I've left off the comments of the
legislators.  Let's just say, they were none too happy about the
Timberwolves arena buy-out last time round, so I wouldn't want to
place any bets on this one.
-Pam

Headline: Jets deal may bring U rink
Publish Date: 05/10/1995

Kevin Gerard Moe

Staff Reporter

State lawmakers may give the University roughly $2.5 million as
part of an attempt to lure the Winnipeg Jets hockey team to
Minnesota.

The University would use the money to build a new ice arena for Jets
practice and to house a women's hockey team.

(snip)

The University expects to transform women's hockey, now a club sport,
into a varsity team within the next five years.

Mark Dienhart, senior associate men's athletics director, said he
didn't have details on the latest plan but that a new ice arena may
be valuable in the future.

``Clearly, if we were going to have women's varsity (hockey) in the
future, there would be a real crunch on ice time,'' he said.

The Jets would use the University rink for practice but play games at
Target Center.

(end quote)