Sender:
From:
"Jack Berenzweig U.S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 23:12:29 -0500
Since Ric Schafer posted his resignation on Hockey-L and invited speculation,
I haven't noticed any speculation, on Hockey-L, as to who the new coach will
be at Notre Dame, so I will be the first to suggest a candidate.

In order for Notre Dame to become a respectable hockey team it will require a
"name" coach who is well known in hockey circles, who has the ability to
accurately assess and recruit top hockey candidates, and who knows how to
teach the finer points of the game.  Unfortunately for Notre Dame, most
people who meet that criteria are presently coaching at other Division I
schools and probably would not leave to become the Notre Dame coach.

However, there is one coach, presently not employed by a Division I school,
 who has won an NC$$ National Championship and who's teams still hold many
NC$$ records.  That person is Mike Addesa.  Mike was the head coach at Holy
Cross from 1975-78 and at RPI from 1979-1989.  In 1984-85 his RPI team won 38
straight games and captured the national championship.  Eight of his players
from that team played professional hockey and two went on to be NHL stars,
Adam Oates and Darren Puppa.

Mike is a winner and deserves another opportunity to prove it.  As a coach
and teacher he is up there with the best.  As a motivator of hockey players
there is no one any better.

If Notre Dame wants to join Michigan, BU, Maine and Minnesota it needs a
coach like Mike Addesa.

Jack Berenzweig