From:
Robb Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robb Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 13:41:17 -0500
At 11:46 AM 3/6/97 -0500, Dan Olsen wrote:

>#10 Yale (10-17-3, 6-14-2 ECAC) at #1 Clarkson (24-8-0, 17-5-0 ECAC)
>
>Prediction:
>
>Clarkson has outgrown their early season troubles (15-1 in their last 16) and
>should be victorious over Yale in 2, but I would expect both games to be
>close.  Yale proved that against Colgate.  Clarkson has a tremendous
>quarterfinal record a Cheel (if only a little of the good luck would follow
>them to Placid).  They have defeated their opponents in 2 that past 4
seasons.

I'll give it to Clarkson in two, but Saturday is a tie.

>#8 Harvard (11-17-2, 9-11-2 ECAC) at #2 Cornell (17-8-4, 14-6-2 ECAC)
>
>Prediction:
>
>Cornell will win the series, but it won't happen in two games.  Despite
>Harvard's up and down season, they are a very real threat and I wouldn't
at all
>be suprised to see them go into Lynah and beat the Big Red on Friday.

At the risk of a jinx: Everyone thought #5 Colgate at #4 Cornell would be a
good series last year, and Cornell walked - no, *ran* away with it 8-1,
8-3.  This year it's #8 (well, #7) at #2 - Cornell takes it with two solid
wins to make it 7 in a row over arch-rival Harvard.

>#6 Princeton (16-9-4, 11-8-3 ECAC) at #3 Vermont (21-8-3, 13-6-3 ECAC)
>
>Prediction:
>
>As much as I hate to agree with the Vermont fans who think that Perrin and
St.
>Louis are actually a huge threat, I think you'll see glimpses of the
Perrin and
>St. Louis of old in the playoffs (no, they still don't deserve to be
considered
>for the Hobey Baker).  Princeton has little experience in the playoffs, and
>Vermont has got to have the "been there, done that" perspective.  I think
>Vermont's #1 line will have enough to lift them over Princeton, but not much
>further (we'll discuss that next week).  Princeton might grab a tie, but I
>still see the series ending in two.

Vermont in 3, unless the team finally comes apart the way they've been
threatening to the last three weeks.  UVM doesn't play like a team; more
like a collection of individuals - I give Princeton a real shot.

>#5 Union (18-11-3, 11-8-3 ECAC) at #4 Rensellaer (17-11-4, 12-7-3 ECAC)
>
>Prediction (commentary):
>
>Wow!  What a treat for the Capital District, especially those Union fans who
>have always had to settle for second best to RPI, even after becoming
division
>I.  This is going to be a great battle and hopefully I'll see a game or two.
>>From what I've seen, RPI is an undisciplined team and Union could take
>advantage of that easily.  Union is too strong defensively and over a three
>game series with Koenig's goaltending, Union will prevail.

Agree, agree, and agree.

Let's Go Red!

Robb Newman
Cornell '94 '95