From:
Ken Pavelle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Pavelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 12:41:38 CDT
> I disapprove of things being thrown on the ice, and I feel there should be
> policies banning such activities at rinks, no matter what gesture is intended.
> I just thought it was silly that you would say it may be o.k. "for hats at
> the correct moment" since anything else thrown might be viewed as "dangerous
> to the players." I can't see how a dead gopher would be more dangerous to
> the players than a hat when thrown on the ice during a stoppage in play.
>
> Besides, I think players would rather NOT see hats thrown on the ice when a
> teammate gets the trick. Often the momentum is in their favour, but throwing
> something on the ice affords the opposition a time-out and chance to regroup.
>
> >  After all the talk earlier about the supposed unsportsmanship about a chant,
> > this has received only mild response, barely any.  So now it's OK to throw
> > things at a goalie, but don't say anything to him?
>
> Good point. After all the chants or words are no worse than the trash talk
> that goes on during those close encounters on ice.
>
> Let the "seventh player" be heard but not seen on the ice, so to speak.
>
> MC
> --
> Mike Collingridge

Hold it a minute here.  Have I misread something, or are there fans who are
throwing objects onto the ice during play?

As a proud member of the Lynah Faithful, I always threw newspaper onto the ice
during the introductions.  It was considered OK to do this, and no one has an
arm good enough to hit a player.  As for fish, it is tradition to throw dead
fish on the ice at Harvard games.  But as for during the game, I've never even
heard of people throwing things onto the ice during play.

I don't want to get into a dispute about whether Cornell's fans' actions are
or aren't appropriate.  But as for during the game, I feel that's dangerous.
Any fanatic who would do this sort of thing should be kicked out of the rink,
or better yet, arrested.

--
from: LTJG Kenneth A. Pavelle, NOAA
      NOAA, National Weather Service

"Its hard to predict anything, especially the future" -- Yogi Berra