From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 11:49:26 -0500
Sarah Foster writes:
>Shawn
>Walsh was more than a little irrate because he did not feel the call was
>a correct one.  I believe that after the game he publically criticized
>the officials call. (I am not positive on what exactly happened)   As a
>result, Coach Walsh was suspended for one game and was forced to sit out of
>Maine's first NCAA tourney game of 90-91.  (or if Maine had not made it
>then, whenever Maine made it to the NCAA's again).
>
>Does anyone remember this? I assume the rules regarding the carry over of
>suspension with respect to player and coaches are two different things.
>Does anyone know what the rule books says?

Jack Parker was also given the same punishment for actions in the
BU-MSU series that season.  Both coaches were to sit out their next
NC$$ tourney game - whenever that was, and it turned out to be the next
season.

This was a punishment that was handed down by the NC$$ in the
off-season - unlike the player suspension from the RPI game which was
a simple DQ assessed during play.  It doesn't appear specifically in
the rule book, although the NC$$ does retain the right to take action
as necessary against players/coaches involved in their tournament -
witness the punishments certain Wisconsin personnel received following
the 1992 championship game with LSSU.

Speaking of which, I realized that I need to do something in my
records about the games Wisconsin was supposed to have forfeited that
season, including as I recall the vacating of the runner-up position
in 1992.  (This was not related to the incidents that occurred in the
championship game.)  I believe Wisconsin was required to offer
forfeits to all opponents in 1991-92.  Does anyone know which, if any,
opponents accepted the forfeits and what UW's official record is for
that season?