From:
Christopher Lerch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 1995 07:59:51 PST
Dick writes:

>I was prepared for a horrible
>broadcast by Empire,  but it wasn't.   But neither was it good.   No crowd
>noise.   Only remote interviews during intermissions,  and
>a color announcer who didn't know the difference between
>Clarkson and Colgate while speaking with a French Canadian
>accent.   (Is Empire's primary market *Canada*?)   In any event,
>I still feel very lucky to have seen all the games live.

The ECAC coverage was better than last year, but still lame
compared to what I saw of the HE and CCHA playoffs.

The broadcast crew on the ECAC games were the guys who do
Empire's AHL games. The color guy is Mike Foligno (sp?), and you
could tell he's not used to calling college hockey.

We were also fortunate in Rochester this weekend. We had all
four ECAC games, plus the HE finals on tape delay and the CCHA
final live. Wow.

CCHA had the best production and HE the best announcers. Points
deducted for the CCHA guys who asked Jeff Jackson after the
Lakers had won the championship if he thought that would
be enough to get them into the NCAAs.

Obligatory Michigan-LSSU comments:
John H was right, there was one and possibly two Michigan
players in the crease when they got the tying goal. Could have
been waved off. Can you imagine the scene if that had
happened?

Also, from some angles, it looked to me like the winning goal
also deflected off a Michigan player before going in the net.

See you in Providence,
Chris Lerch
EDS
RIT '84 & '91